Saturday 12 April 2014

Karma?

Thursday 10th April

This morning we took a guided walk around the village with our  hostess Ayesha. As we walked she started to talk about the Buddhist belief system and mentioned a peculiar practice ...

... Good deeds are performed as part of living a lifestyle true to the belief system with the hope of ultimately achieving Nirvana. One such deed is to buy a cow destined for slaughter to rescue it from its fate. The net result of this action is that one becomes the owner of a beast that is well past it's sell by date. Now there are some that take good care of these cattle until the natural end of their days but there are others that do not and, instead, foist the cow upon a family that can I'll afford to care for an unproductive animal. 
Milk Collection Station. Digana, Nr Kandy
It is not unknown for an old cow to be "rescued" from the slaughter man several times before it's eventual demise. 

Changing tack somewhat, upon our arrival yesterday we were warned to keep an eye open for small scorpions that can come in to the bungalows after rain. I clarified that a sting from one of these would be like a bee sting rather than excruciating agony, delirium, anti venom and gangrene and was delighted that, at worst, I would need a mild antihistamine. 

Since there had been no rain I put this thought away and went  about my day. Later I visited the bathroom to cool my face with a splash of water. I dried my face with one of the towels and as I returned it to the rail I noticed one of the little sods clinging to the towel. I was amazed by this close encounter and relieved that I had not been stung. I then examined the beast. He was about 3cm in length and quite distinctive because he had lost one of its claws. 

I then followed the advice of our hosts, flicked it on to the floor and attempted to squash it. I can report that they can scuttle very quickly but I cornered it and it seemed immobile when I vacated the bathroom. 

Later I revisited the bathroom and the little sod was mooching around the floor as bold as brass. I knew it was the same one as it only had one claw. I was faster on my toes this time and was rewarded with a crunch that sounded definitively final to me. 

He must have been a pretty crappy scorpion if he was reincarnated as another scorpion....

... And he still didn't get a full compliment of claws.

We're still productive. The Dairy at Tamarind Gardens

No comments:

Post a Comment